Friday, May 14, 2010

easter

April 4: This was my first Easter away from home. To be honest, it didn't really feel like Easter at all.  Then again, it just felt like a new kind of Easter: one that I'd never before experienced.  It was entirely unforgettable.


I loved every minute of it.


Sunday morning, balmy as usual, presented another glorious Panamanian sunrise. Dressed in my cheerful, spring-green skirt, white tank, and pearlescent white flip flops, I was eager to attend my first church service in Spanish. 


This church holds its services in a sort of pavillion: I think it's the large porch/covered patio of a building. I'm not sure exactly.  What I do know is that we received a very warm welcome, equal to that which we received the previous evening at youth group. I was elated to see some familiar faces, both of kids in the youth group and of the family we went to the river with on Saturday.


I sat in the second row towards the front, flanked by Sean and Ryan; Joy and her parents sat in front of us.  The service began with some worship songs.  Alabanzas may be the word for it.  I don't know... but they were songs. They were energetic, they were about Jesus, and they were in Spanish. That pretty well describes the rest of the service. 


I felt bad for Uncle Casey, Aunt Linda, Sean, and Ryan, since they had to sit through the service and desperately try to follow along as best as they could. Joy obviously was right at home; and to be honest, I enjoyed the challenge.  Listening to it all in Spanish and focusing on what exactly was being said really helped sharpen my comprehension skills. I found it all very encouraging: even down to the simplest things, like being able to find a Bible verse after being told the reference in Spanish.  (Such as Juan, capítulo veinte, versículo diez y siete instead of "John 20:17.")


As I listened intently to the speaker present his sermon, I suddenly remembered something Joy had said to me the night before: "Keep making the effort to improve your Spanish, but don't let what you don't know frustrate you. Be proud of yourself for what you do know and say 'Hey, I understood that!'"


Following the end of the service, I realized once again how much I hate saying goodbye.  I had to bid my hasta la vista's to Marlenis and Cristi, my pals from Saturday's river adventure.  Such is life, as they say.


Lunch was held at Joy's, and we were joined by one of her other missionary friends ( the one who gave the sermon that morning at church).  Later that night, we arrived at the Guerra's for Easter dinner.  Mrs. Guerra came out of the house to greet us, abashedly announcing that the food was not ready yet.  We hardly minded at all.   Perfectly contented to be waiting, we followed Mr. Guerra around their property for an insightful tour of their yard.  Growing in their yard were pineapples, mangos, peppers, avocados, plantains, and more!


(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment